Cairns expressed disappointment over the New Zealand Cricket Board for shunning him and the other accused and called for his accusers to provide proof to back up their allegations.
Cairns along with former New Zealand players Daryl Tuffey and Lou Vincent have been named in an International Cricket Council (ICC) match-fixing probe.
Cairns said no one had approached him although it has now been 10 weeks since the allegations were first made.
“Surely there should be some onus on the ICC or other governing bodies to come forward and present some reliable evidence to justify the investigation,” he said on Sunday.
“The current rumour and speculation, which has been widely reported around the world, is doing untold damage.”
“The impact of this on my career and the professional opportunities in front of me is very serious … while this dark cloud hangs over me, my ability to work and provide for my family is almost non-existent.”
Cairns also said that some of the comments made by his former team-mates has fallen on his ears. He challenged the former players to “say it to the people you should be saying it to or to me. I’m yet to hear any of those players come out and say (it).”
“The thing that really irks me with New Zealand Cricket is that from day one I’ve had the door shut in my face … how would Sir Richard (Hadlee) feel having his family name, the Hadlee name, drawn through the mud as I’ve had it.”
Cairns also raised questions over whether the other board members such as Martin Snedden and Geoff Allott would accept the way he had been treated.
It was confirmed to Cairns that he was under investigation for match-fixing from the ICC’s Anti-Corruption and Security Unit during day four of the First Test match between New Zealand and India at Eden Park.
0 votes